Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Mended Little Hearts


Mended Little Hearts with the Team

Gavin with Briggs- his "Big Buddy"

Papa, Gavin and Mama

We joined Mended Little Hearts back in May of this year. Mended Little Hearts is a non-profit organization that helps make awareness about heart defects in children. A few months ago we teamed up with the Bishop Kelley Football Team. Kind of like a "Big Buddy" Program. The students there have to earn so many community service points to graduate, so this program is a way for the team to receive points. The football players come to our meetings and participate in events with us. We got together with them through Baby Bailey (see link), her dad Brandon is a coach for the BK football team. Last night, we attended their first home game against Memorial. At halftime, each Mended Little Heart were teamed up with a player. The player and some parents walked the child out on the field, there name was announced. Two football players walked out on the field alone. One in honor of Manning, who is currently in the hospital awaiting a heart transplant. The other player walked in memory of our precious angel Emma, who passed away at 3 months of age. Our youngest member Zyron was walked out by his big brother who plays football for Memorial! It was so touching and emotional to watch each football player with their "buddy". It's obvious these coaches and team members want to make awareness about heart disease/defects.

3 comments:

Laura said...

ok- you beat me!! Wasn't it so touching to see last night? BK coaches and families should be so proud of their boys. I was a very proud mommy myself. I know Hope enjoyed being a part of it all. I look forward to all the coming events with them. It was great to finally meet Gavin. I have a really cute picture of you, Gavin, Hope and Scott. I will forward it on to you when I download my pictures. Hope to see you Monday at the MLH meeting.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome event!! The football players really seem to care about the MLH kids. Gavin looks adorable, as always!

Anonymous said...

I am speechless! The only thing I know to say is WOW THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!